Friday, April 25, 2014

I Don't WORK OUT

I don’t work out anymore.

Yet.

So last fall I tried to exercise. I’ve always been able to at least run(ish) a mile. But the last few years, not so much. When my OB gave me the go-ahead to work out at my six week after baby appt., I laughed, heartily. I rarely plucked my eyebrows or unloaded my dishwasher at this point, let alone worked out. So at the six MONTH mark, I grabbed T-25 and thought, I have no energy because I don’t work out! Duh!

If you can only imagine, three days into it, I was on the floor, wondering why I wasn’t getting any endorphins from this horrible daily awfulness I was putting myself through (I loved the workout format, but I’m no SeanT). So I thought, it’s not like people worked out for all of history, they picked up kids and toys all day and did daily and huge amounts of manual labor, but not T25. So, I’m good, I'm a mom, that's a workout enough.

POINT OF STORY
I was not healing while I slept. Hashimotos means that my body is constantly attacking my thyroid and then spending it’s time trying to fix what it's breaking, leaving no energy to expend on exercise and recovery. What!! Yep. SO DON'T feel bad if you are not signing up for iron-mans!!!!!! It might be all you can do to put on jeans in the morning, I get it! Promise!

So I was just adding to my own fatigue, not helping it. EXHAUSTED. Exercise was one of the FIRST things we cut out of my protocol. 

Where am I at today? Still not exercising. Mind you, I keep a house, two children going and a gazillion other things, but I’m not DIGGING DEEP. :) (Get it? T25? No? Yes? Cool). Just three weeks ago I was told to start adding in a daily 20 minute walk. That’s it. I now get to start to build up some endurance, but I am no where near being athletic or googling CrossFit. Someday maybe, but for now I will relish that walk on the days I feel up to it. I may have let my inner athlete get dusty, but it’ll come back someday, just not today, and that’s okay.

OUT

PS I had Lasik done yesterday after scheduling an apt 6 years ago. I think that’s worth noting and yes, I talked to my hashi doc and he was cool with it. Annnnd I have my faux mom here to take care of me and make me veggies for a few days. Thanks to you Angela, we love you.

Those goggles, so awesome.

Side story, from a reader:

LINDSAY!  I read labels now like crazy and it's as if everything has chemicals in it and food coloring poison and alien space dust and the world is ending and my husband thinks I'm paranoid and AHHHHHHHHH. 
(Okay, slight exaggeration, but you know this scenario).

Yep, sorry. Avoid nitrates and anything over 2 grams of sugar per serving. Ya know, if you can. It ain't easy or for the faint of heart. MODERATION. We can't do it all, or we lose the point of living, which is NOT reading labels and passing out in the grocery store.
What a pep talk eh?


2 comments:

  1. The question is, where is grandma ang getting get Diet Coke fix while staying with you? Ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. McDonalds! I even got her one today, I was hoping nobody saw me. :) hahahaha

      Delete